Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Vocabulary and Spelling Tests returned

7th and 8th grade:
Many students did much better on the Vocabulary Tests last week!  I was very impressed.  Parents -- keep an eye out for these vocab tests.  I will be returning them today.


6th Grade:
Spelling tests are also being returned so watch out for those as well! 
            Spelling Tips:  I'd like to encourage the 6th graders to remember to study for spelling tests even if you feel you don't need to. 
  • It helps to study with a buddy.  Or, there are lots of computer programs and tools on the Internet (like google translate)  where you can type in a list of words and have it read back to you.  Then you can test yourself. 
  • Also,  I like to find smaller words in a spelling word that I know I can spell.  For example, the word "city" is at the end of "electricity."  Knowing small parts of a word helps you spell the whole thing
  • Another way to help is to say words funny out loud to yourself in a way that will help you remember how it is spelt.  For example, I'll say "nomineeeeeee!"  to myself, really exaggerating the eeee sound at the end.  That helps me remember that nominee is spelled with two 'E's at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment